Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Cross Country Banquet

Cross Country season has now been officially over for a while because our team did not make it to State. On Thursday we had our Banquet to end the season. I didn’t really want to go because I had a ton of homework that night and I was tired since it was Thursday but my parents made me so I had no other choice. For dinner we had Fizzoli’s which was yummy. There was spaghetti and fettuccine alfredo which is my favorite. There were also bread sticks which were delicious. It is not as good as Zio Johno’s I must admit, but it was still good.

After we were done eating we went up into the library to talk about the season. The boys have a bigger team then we do so they got to stay in the cafeteria where we ate. Our coach spoke about how good our season was and that making it to state is a good goal for the future, but that it was okay we didn’t make it because we did the best we could. After this he handed out the awards to everyone and then individually talked about each of the seniors. We only had three seniors this year, and by the time our coach was done talking about the last girl KM (irunifly) he was crying. When I say he was crying, I don’t mean that he was bawling his eyes out but you could definitely see tears welling up.

After this we got to give the seniors their senior gifts. I was excited to give them their gifts because we put a lot of effort into making them this year. We gave them each a personalized blanket that had their name and the words, cross country, embroidered on them. Each blanket was made with different fabric and the juniors got together as a team to make them. I think they really liked their gift, especially since it was actually usable. In the past, juniors(who are in charge of the senior gifts), get too hooked on giving the seniors a bunch of little trinkets that are supposed to be funny, instead of getting them one really nice item that shows how much they meant to the team. Our assistant cross country coach also had pillow cases (green and gold!) with their names embroidered on them as well. It is a tradition for her to do this every year for the seniors. For our coach’s gift, we gave him a pair of shoes with his name embroidered on them. I guess embroidery is just popular this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment