Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Winter Pep Assembly

Today was the pep assembly for the winter term. I was looking forward to it because it meant that classes would be shorter; which I always enjoy. For the pep assembly, I had to sit with the band, instead of with the junior class. Don’t get me wrong, I like sitting with the band and playing, but I think it would be nice every once in a while to get to sit with my class and do the cheers. Nevertheless, I had a fun time in the band section. We don’t actually do that much playing. In the end, we end up having played the fight song twice and that’s just about it. This pep assembly was different though because our director had recently gotten us new pep band music. She decided that we would play one of our new songs today. The new song that she chose was Thriller by Michael Jackson. We have only rehearsed the song once, so it didn’t actually sound that great but it was fun because people could recognize the song. We also have two other new songs: “I Saw Her Standing There,” by The Beatles, and “Zombie Nation,” by a band of which I don’t know their name. We have only rehearsed The Beatles song once and we still haven’t gotten the Zombie Nation song. I’m sure that most of you know the Beatles song off the top of your head but the Zombie Nation song is a little less known. I know you would recognize it if you heard it though because it is played at almost all of the football games over the loud speakers; that is how our director got the idea to purchase the music. Due to this, I am more excited than usual for basketball pep band. Next week we have two pep bands, one on Tuesday and one on Friday. I am going to both of them and I hope that we get to play the new songs. We have a total of 12 pep bands this season, 6 of which we are required to play at; I signed up for all 12 not only because I think band is fun, but because I will get into the basketball game for free.

This is seemingly random, but getting the new pep band music was not a simple matter of just buying it. One day, it took a group of us about an hour to take all of the old music out of the pep band folders and organize it. As I was doing this, I realized it would only be a matter of time before we had to put all the new music in; this would presumably take another hour.




This is one of the songs that we are playing for pepband. It is called Zombie Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment