Friday, December 11, 2009

Snow Day!


This week was a pretty slow paced week because we had not one, not two, but three snow days. Our first snow day was on Tuesday and I was not expecting it at all. We got the call that school was cancelled around 5:30 in the morning. I was excited but kind of confused because I knew the snow wasn’t supposed to start falling until later in the day; I expected an early out but by no means a cancellation of school. I didn’t really do much on Tuesday and Wednesday besides watch TV and facebook. So on Thursday I decided that I needed to get out of the house. I went to my friend Mildred's house and we went sledding in her backyard which has a small hill. The real reason I enjoy sledding at her house is that behind her backyard is nothing but woods, although a few houses are beginning to take our area over.

I think we have pretty much deemed this territory ours because every winter since we were in elementary school we have gone into the woods and explored. I wouldn’t call us modern day versions of Lewis and Clark, but were pretty close. The woods are full of hills but it is kind of dangerous because as you are going down you have to dodge the trees. This makes the sledding a bit more exciting. It was going good until our exploring started and we reached this small river. Most of it was solid ice so we thought it would be fun to go ice skating on it; without the skates of course. Unfortunately, I hit an area of the ice that was anything but solid and fell right through. As I attempted to get out I realized that my boots were suctioned into the mud and that all the ice around me I was trying to grab was also breaking. All while my friends are laughing around me. Looking back I can laugh, but at the time being submerged in freezing cold water when it was below zero was not fun. The worst part was the 2 mile uphill trek we had to make back to Mildred's house. When I got back I was freezing. I took my boots of and my feet were bright red, purple, and puffy. I’m just thankful I didn’t have to amputate anything. Nevertheless, I would put it in the books as one of the most exciting snow days I’ve had even though I had a narrow escape with death.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA what a loser.....way to fall through that ice I would have laughed at you too! oh wait...i did :p jk haha i hope your feetsies are all warmed up now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mildred, for laughing at me the entire time. Although, I am pretty sure I would have laughed at you if you were in that situation.

    ReplyDelete