Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Great Grandma's Birthday


Today was a very exciting day because it was my great-grandma's 104th birthday. She is a very amazing lady not only because of her age but because she still lives in her home all by herself. In order to celebrate, all my family members and I went over to her house. There were a lot of us because my great-grandmother had 8 children, one of them being my grandpa. Her house is pretty small, so it was a tight squeeze to fit everybody in it but we did. I always enjoy celebrating my great-grandma’s birthday because she has made it to such an old age. Some years we have a big gathering at a community location but this year we didn’t. What amazes me the most about my grandma is that even though she is over one hundred years old her memory is in perfect condition and she remains very independent. She has a button on her wrist she can press if she falls or needs any help but other than that she lives alone. He children that live in town come and visit her every week and my grandpa goes to visit her just about every day. I try to visit her whenever I can because I know each day could be her last.

Every year she remembers my birthday and always sends me a beautiful card with a long hand written message on it. Her cursive she learned when she was a small child is still as beautiful as ever and I always enjoy reading it.
Every year it is a tradition for us to write a song for my great-grandma and sing it to her. We have been doing this since she turned 90 years old. It is usually to the tune of Christmas song because her birthday is near Christmas. This is the song we wrote for her this year (it is to the tune of “Winter Wonderland”-“Sleigh bells ring…” :

Birthday songs
We are singing
Birthday cheer
We are bringing
A beautiful day
We’re so happy to say
Mother is a hundred and four!

She’s a jewel
Of a mother
She’s a Grandma
Like none other
We give her our praise
She blesses our days
Mother is a hundred and four!

She was born before there were computers
She lived half her life without TV
She grew up without an air conditioner
But she survived just fine as you can see

We love you
Your love is boundless
You are wise
Your friends are countless
There’s one thing that’s clear
You’re a treasure most dear
Our mother is one hundred and four!

Here is a link to the song Winter Wonderland. This is the song we used to write my great grandma's song.

No comments:

Post a Comment