Sunday, December 13, 2009

Soccer Championships


<---This is the symbol for the Real Madrid Soccer Team.

As of recently, the list of who will be playing in each category for the soccer championships has been posted. I still don’t totally understand the way the championships work because I just started paying attention to soccer when I went to Spain over the summer. In Spain, soccer is as big if not bigger than football. Spaniards as well as the rest of Europe are extremely patriotic to their teams. My favorite team is Real Madrid. I don’t really know why I picked them as my favorite team, other than their jersey was the cheapest one I could find in Spain so I bought it. Don’t get me wrong, they are a famous and very popular team; I think the jersey was cheap because it was purple. After that I just decided that they would be the team I would root for.

There are 8 different categories of teams. They are labeled as Group A, Group B, Group C so and so forth ending at Group H. The groups are put together based on their performance over the season. I think Group A is the best performing teams. It would make sense because Sevilla didn’t have a very good season this year and they are ranked in Group G. One thing that stands out in my memory is a protest that occurred while I was in Spain, over the new coach of the Sevilla team who the supporters disliked; probably because of their bad season. To get back on topic, each team will play another team in their group. The teams in each group are about the same ability level. Real Madrid is in Group C and I think they are at the top of their group ability wise. Manchester United is in Group B, Sevilla is in Group G, and Barcelona is in Group F; those are mainly the only soccer teams I have heard of. Sevilla would probably be my second favorite soccer team just because of the protest I witnessed. I don’t really have any good reason for liking the teams I like other than I have some sort of connection to them. I also like Barcelona and I also bought one of their soccer jerseys when I was in Spain. Also, when I went to Barcelona I went to their soccer stadium; I didn’t take a tour of it or anything but it was cool to be there. Anyway, these soccer games are kind of like the Olympics for soccer because the best teams from all around the world compete. I think some of the games have already started and I know they continue through a good part of 2010. Sorry I wasn’t very informative on the subject, although I’m trying to learn more as the season progresses.

Here's a link for the Group Listings and other information





This is a video of Real Madrid playing Atletico Madrid(another team in Madrid) earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment