Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Czech Republic



A few days ago I volunteered at a chili supper at St. Ludmila’s Church. My aunt is the secretary on the Czech School Board so I usually help out at the events. It also helps me get volunteer hours. Czech school is a nonprofit organization that puts together a school over the summer for children to go to and learn how to speak Czech. When I was younger I went to the school but as I got older I got too busy to continue. The organization is going strong and is even able to support teachers from the Czech Republic to teach the students. Each year about 4 or 5 young adults come from the Czech Republic and live with a family. During their time here, they are supported by the Czech Board and in return they teach the American students how to speak Czech. It helps them establish connections in the United States and gives them time to explore some of the country while expanding their English skills. The teacher I had when I attended the school, Petra, went on to move to the United States permanently and marry an American man.

My family has been involved in the Czech community as long as I can remember. My great grandpa, who died a few years ago, was from the Czechoslovakia. He moved to the United States when he was a little boy in the very beginning of the 1900’s. They moved into a small cute home, that my family still owns today. Before he died, my great grandpa would tell me stories of his childhood in Czechoslovakia. It made me and my family want to stay involved in the Czech community as much as possible. They are a very tight knit group of people; most the eldest generation was either born in Czechoslovakia or are the children of immigrants born there. I think it is a very interesting culture, especially since I know it is mine. Last year my family took a trip to the Czech Republic to visit our relatives that still live there. I couldn’t go because I would have missed over a month of school but I hope to visit my relatives and the country in the future!

1 comment:

  1. HEYYYYYYYYY I'm czech too!!! Let's try and be czech princesses together :) You know in that one kolach festival parade :D That would be fun mmmmmkay bye

    ReplyDelete