Monday, March 29, 2010

Parlor City


Before Spring Break I applied for a job at Parlor City. I was pretty sure that I would get the job since my mom is good friends with the owner but I wasn’t for sure. Luckily, a few days before Spring Break I got a call from my new boss saying I had gotten the job! I was extremely excited, especially since this would be my first job. I didn’t really have any preparation to do, so I just waited for the first day which happened to be the first Sunday of Spring Break. Normally, kids would be bummed that they would have to work over break but since I had just gotten the job, I couldn’t wait to start working.

The first day I showed up in jeans, a t-shirt, tennis shoes and had my hair pulled back. Right away they handed me a t-shirt and welcomed me onto the staff. The first day I worked 5 hours, and it was very overwhelming to say the least. There were so many different ice cream treats you could order, so many different buttons on the cash register. As the day went on I got better, but it was still pretty scary. I had to work at the cash register the whole time because I didn’t know how to make anything yet. I did that for about 2 days and on the 3rd day they taught me how to make cones. You would think starting with a cone would be easy, but I actually think that the cones are the hardest to make. So far, mine look pretty bad but with practice I’m sure I’ll get better.

After the first few days things got a lot better. I began to know the girls that I was working with a little better and I was finally getting the hang of the cash register. I now know how to make just about everything except the specialty items and the coffee coolers. I’m still pretty new so they help me out whenever I need it. In the end, I’m really glad that I got to start my job over Spring Break because it was a lot less stressful for me. I work again tomorrow and I’m a little worried because it’s the first time I’ve had to work on a school night and I won’t have much time for homework. I guess it won’t matter though because it’s not any different than having a cross country meet or a marching band practice take up my whole night. In the end, I couldn’t be happier that I have my first job! Oh yea, and did I mention I get free ice cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment