Sunday, January 10, 2010

Airport Security

Recently, there has been a lot of talk about how good the security is in airports due to the failed terrorist attack on Christmas Day. The man was Nigerian and his father, a Nigerian Banker, had previously alerted United States officials that his son had become radical and might be a threat to the nation. Due to this, the Nigerian man was listed as a suspected terrorist and yet somehow he was still allowed to fly on airplanes. I think this shows there is a serious security problem in the United States because if someone is listed as a suspected terrorist it shouldn’t matter if they have never caused threat to aviation before there is a first for everything.

The newest technology that is being put to use in some airports already is known as whole body imaging machines. These machines are very advanced and are able to see very detailed outlines of the human body as a person walks through them. Some people are strongly against these machines because they feel they are “digital strip searches.” While I can see where these people are coming from, I strongly disagree with their opinions. The fact is these machines are essential to creating more secure airports. Terrorists are becoming smarter and more innovative with hiding bombs and getting other explosives onto planes each year. The question I would like to ask the people that oppose these machines is, “Would you rather airport security personal see the image of your naked body or would you rather be blown up in a plane?” I myself think the answer is obvious. Another interesting fact I have learned about these machines is that they create two separate images as you go under them. One image is less detailed and shows the security personal all they need to see. The second image is more detailed and is only pursued by the security personal if there is anything suspicious in the first image. So, chances are the airport security would never even see the more detailed image.

I have also learned that a person would only have to go under one of these machines if the buzzer went off upon going underneath a metal detector. This would be the substitute to getting a pat down. I personally think that pat downs are extremely ineffective. I have been through airports many times and flown on several international flights. For some reason, I tend to always set the metal detector off when I go under it thus resulting in a pat down. Of the pat downs I have received, none of them have lasted for more than 5 seconds. The security personal will barely even touch me, leaving me to wonder why they even did the pat down in the first place. This has lead me to believe that pat downs are inefficient and in my opinion more awkward then simply walking through a scanner.

This website gives information about whole body imaging technology and it is where I got some of my facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment