Sunday, January 24, 2010

Running During the Offseason

Since the beginning of January I have been running outside after school again. I stopped after cross country ended to take a break from running and well, let’s just say that the break lasted longer than it should have. So like everybody else in America, my New Year’s resolution was to get back on the sidewalk and start running. I usually run on the trail that isn’t too far from our school with my friend. It is a very good place to run in the winter because for some reason it is usually cleared off really well. The only problem is getting down to the trail because the sidewalks in the neighborhood are very snowy and icy.

This previous week we did not get to run much because of the ice storm that came. Ice storms are the worst scenarios for runners because it is almost impossible to run on a thick sheet of ice. Snow and most other seasonal commodities we can handle. For that reason, we took Wednesday through Friday off last week so we would not have to worry about breaking any bones. Monday though, we are going to start up again and hopefully we will not have any distractions this week since there are only 3 shorts weeks until the beginning of track season.

On the weekends I usually work out at the YMCA or I go to Aegon where my dad works. I only do this during the winter though, when I have no other options, because I hate running inside on treadmills. They have a way of boring me to death and I usually only make it 3 miles before I have to get off. I like to run outside better for a number of reasons: there is better scenery and I can breathe fresh air, not humid air all full of sweat. Unfortunately, I have to deal with it because the sidewalks in my neighborhood are solid sheets of ice or piled high with snow most of the time. Anyway, I hope that in the next two weeks I have before track I can really step up my game. The past few weeks we have been taking nice and slow, short runs. It is good to do this during the off season but with the track season coming up so quickly I think it would be better to increase my mileage a bit.

Here is a link to the track website:)

No comments:

Post a Comment